Meat and dairy farming systems are essential for New Zealand, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Learn about the platforms that the Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gases (GRA), the Ministry of Primary Industries of New Zealand (MPI) and FONTAGRO use to promote science and innovation for strengthening national system capacities and helping agri-food systems respond efficiently and sustainably to future challenges.
A little history
More than a decade
of collaborative work.
Climate Change and Livestock: Quantification of Methane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions of Grazing Cattle, and Mitigation Options.
- New Zealand, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic
Total amount: USD 1,000,000
Gas measurement in the Southern Cone and Dominican Republic.
Developing competitive livestock production systems with low greenhouse gas emissions in Central America
- Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama
Total amount: USD 857,500
Greenhouse gas emissions in Central America.
Improving animal production systems, with a focus on dairy farming, in a climate change context in the Andean Region
- Peru, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador
Total amount: USD 868,000
Greenhouse gas emissions in the Andean Region.
Livestock and climate change: applied research and knowledge
- United States, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Spain, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Venezuela
Total amount: USD 139,318
Livestock and climate-change in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Latin American and Caribbean Platform for Sustainable Intensification of Livestock Farming
- Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Spain, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Venezuela
Regional strategy for climate change adaptation and effect mitigation.
Carbon sequestration opportunities in Latin American and Caribbean soils
- Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica.
Total amount: USD 80,000
Carbon sequestration strategy for Latin America and the Caribbean.
Sustainable legume-based intensification of livestock farming: Latin American and Caribbean cooperation platform
- Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Dominican Republic, Uruguay
Total amount: USD 1,794,524
Legume-based Livestock Farming in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Agtech for climate-smart dairy farming
- Argentina, Costa Rica, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Uruguay
Total amount: USD 540,9000
Dairy farming in the Southern Cone, Central America and the Caribbean.
Innovation for pasture management
- Uruguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, United States
Total amount: USD 512,940
Pasture management in the Southern Cone and Costa Rica.
Cattle productivity in the South American Chaco region
- Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay
Total amount: USD 657,285
Cattle productivity in the Chaco.
Organic-carbon sequestration in Latin American and Caribbean soils: opportunity identification and quantification of economic and environmental impact
- Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica
Total amount: USD 1,460,240
Carbon sequestration in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Satellite monitoring of quantity and quality of available biomass in pastoral livestock systems
- Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica y Uruguay
Total amount: USD 1.347.547
Satellite monitoring of biomass.