Innovation ecosystem for the agri-food sector in Latin America and the Caribbean
Who we are
Unique cooperation mechanism for co-financing science, technology, and innovation for the agrifood sector in LAC
Solid governance structure
Capital of US$102 million
15 member countries
The Inter-American Development Bank, legal representative
Investment in 160 innovation platforms since 1998, US$123 million (US$28 million direct financing)
Philosophy and Strategy
Transform agri-food systems through knowledge to be more inclusive and sustainable with the environment and society.
Lead the regional articulation, cooperation, and dialogue strategy through sustainable co-financing of public goods initiatives that contribute to better knowledge and innovation of agri-food systems and better quality of life for society.
- Strategy 1: Resilient, sustainable, farm networks.
- Strategy 2: Productive Systems, agroecosystems, and sustainable territories.
- Strategy 3: Food, nutrition, and health.
Where we work
What we do
Promote multi-stakeholder projects for science, technology and innovation
Foster knowledge management initiatives
Facilitate dialogue and cooperation among public and private partners
FONTAGRO´s contribution to innovation: case studies and the economic ex-post assessment
2. Sweet potato (genetic and nutrition, 1998)
4. Pest management in potato crop (sustainable and ecological production, 2006)
7. Cassava, sweet pepper, corn and beans (competitive value chains, 2009)
2. Native potato (biodiversity and markets, 2005)
5. Potato: new varieties (genetics and seed production, 2007)
3. Musaceae (seed production and integrated disease management, 2006)
6. Horticulture (sustainable production and bioinputs, 2007)
Agriculture has been, is, and will be critical in all LAC economies.
The solid governance structure and the regional multi-stakeholder innovation platforms have been, are, and will be a fundamental element for the competitiveness of the agrifood sector.
The competitiveness of an economy lies in its capacity for innovation.
Strategic partnerships and collaboration are fundamental not only for increasing investments but also for strengthening sustainable impact.
family farming through initiatives and projects.